As a non-commercial educational (NCE) station licensed by the FCC, WMJS-LP falls under the same underwriting requirements as National Public Radio stations and PBS TV stations. The Congress and FCC require that NCE stations remain free of “paid advertising”. At the same time, both realize that these stations would not exist without funding support from individuals and businesses. Accordingly, the Government has created a special type of “Image Advertising” tailored to the special circumstances of NCE broadcasters. This is called “enhanced underwriting”.
NCE stations may, under the laws and FCC rules, gratefully acknowledge underwriting donations on-the-air, and may set a schedule defining the number of “thank you” acknowledgements per amount donated. All donations are 100% tax deductable! WMJS broadcasts one underwriting announcement for approximately each $1.67 donated according to the monthly schedule below:
- $50 – One spot per day, every day for one calendar month
- $100 – Two spots per day every day for one calendar month
- $150 – Three spots per day every day for one calendar month
The FCC has established specific rules pertaining to the wording of underwriting announcements:
- An underwriting announcement may identify the name of the donor company, the type of business, service, or products carried (including brand names), a “value neutral” company slogan or “catch phrase” and contact information (telephone number, address, and/or web site address).
- An underwriting announcement may NOT include a “call to action”, any price information, or convey any sense of urgency.
The typical underwriting announcement may sound something like this:
“Programming on WMJS-LP is made possible, in part, by a donation from Calvert Animal Hospital, a full service animal hospital providing routine, surgical and emergency care. Calvert Animal Hospital is located at 1923 Skinners Turn Road right at the intersection of northbound Route 4 and is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 7 pm, and Saturday from 8 am until noon. Additional information can be found online at calvertanimal.com or by calling 410-257-6171. WMJS would like to thank Calvert Animal Hospital for supporting community radio here, in Calvert County.”
Each underwriting donation to WMJS will be acknowledged every day throughout an entire month. Information for the announcements needs to be received two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired air dates to give our volunteer staff time to record and schedule your acknowledgements.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the return of community radio to Calvert County!
* Requires Adobe Reader.